The Alta Via 1 (AV1) is the ultimate multi-day hut-to-hut trek and the original and flagship high level route through the Dolomites. The Alta Via 1, described in the outdoor press as “one of the world’s premier treks”, is a north-south traverse of Italy’s spectacular Dolomites. Internationally renowned climber Reinhold Messner describes the Dolomites “The Most Beautiful Mountains in the World”.
This diverse route encompasses flower-filled alpine meadows underneath towering Dolomite peaks, crashing waterfalls, clear turquoise lakes, World War 1 heritage sites, and wild, remote sections. The highest point of the trek is 2752m at Rifugio Lagzazuoi. Staying high in the mountains in the excellent network of mountain refuges means you will be in the very best place to enjoy the spectacular sunrises and sunset of the Dolomites.
The route is not technical and is accessible to regular walkers. Typically you can expect around 6 hours of walking each day and ascents and descents of about 700m. Bedding and food are provided by the mountain huts along the way, so you just need to carry the things you would normally take with you for a day’s walking, a few basic toiletries, a change of clothes and a sheet sleeping bag liner.
You will have the chance to explore the fascinating history of the region and enjoy a well-earned glass of wine on a mountain hut balcony while watching the sunset turn the Dolomites to their famous pink colour. Why not make the most of Italy’s summer sunshine, great food, superb mountain accommodation and the chance to trek amongst the Dolomite peaks of this spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site?
The Alta Via 1 is very adaptable, with trek lengths to suit everyone.
For those with just a week to spare, the Alta Via 1 trek can be split into 2 halves – the northern section and the southern section. We recommend that you do the northern section first. Each trip is 8 days including travel days allowing you to fly in and out of Italy on the same day of the week.
Shorter trip lengths are also possible.
If you have a little longer, you can do a 10-day trip including travel days from Lago di Braies to Passo Duran.
For the purists amongst you, the whole trek from Lago di Braies to Belluno takes 12 days including travel days.
For more details see the itinerary
Our Alta Via 1 treks are available either guided or self-guided. Self-guided trips can be run for 1 person or more.
Book now with trekMountains to reserve your space on the AV1 for your summer trekking holiday to avoid disappointment!
Contact us for more details.
Self-Guided Alta Via 1 Trek Prices and Dates
Our trips are tailor-made to suit your requirements, yet we remain very competitive on price. Our prices include private or non-dormitory rooms wherever available in the rifugi at no extra cost to you, and half board in all the rifugi.
- Dolomites Alta Via 1: Self-guided price from £890
The following dates are already guaranteed to run – we have accommodation already booked and waiting for you.
- Dolomites Alta Via 1: 6 – 13 July 2022: Self-guided price £890 per person based on a minimum of 2 bookings. We have already booked private rooms in the best rifugi. The AV1 is almost fully booked for summer 2022, and these rooms are only available due to a cancellation – grab these spaces NOW! Contact us for details.
Trips in June, August and September may still be possible depending on your dates – please contact us for details.
Why trek the Alta Via 1 with trekMountains?
trekMountains has been organising and leading treks on the Alta Via 1 every year for the past 11 years.
To the best of our knowledge, we were the first people from the UK to put together hiking trips on the Alta Via 1.
We therefore know every step of the various routes intimately, and know all the rifugi owners personally.
We can put together the best route for your needs – we listen to your requirements for the type of trail that you like to walk on – including if you have any fears or concerns, and we determine the type of rifugio that will suit you. Once we have done that we then tailor your trip to suit you best.
Additionally we will always get you in the smallest rooms available at not extra cost to you.
Click on the links below for more information about the Alta Via 1 trek:
You may also be interested in:
- Dolomites Tre Cime: slightly easier than the Alta Via 1, this circuit takes you round the iconic peaks of the Tre Cime and lets you discover World War I sites.
- Dolomites Val Gardena Day Walks: based from a friendly hotel in the delightful Gardena valley, let the cable car take the strain as you enjoy the network of cable cars to walk in the many varied areas which surround the Gardena Valley. These day walks can be adapted for all walking levels.
- Dolomites UNESCO World Heritage GeoTrail: a wonderful new trek which take you on a journey of discovery as it traverses through the various geological areas of the Dolomites. Similar in difficulty to the Alta Via 1.
- Dolomites Alta Via 2: a harder north-south traverse of the Dolomites, west of the Alta Via 1 area.