Walking in Northern Portugal
trekMountains offers the choice of 3 superb walking holidays in this beautiful part of Portugal, in an area renowned for its production of fine wines and port.
Trekking in Northern Portugal and into Galicia in Spain gives the walker an experience of lovely scenery, ancient towns and unspoiled countryside while enjoying superb hospitality and excellent cuisine.
Each walk gives the walker a gentler, intermediate level experience than mountain trekking, and offers hiking in a variety of beautiful landscapes – sandy beaches, steep-sloped valleys covered in vineyards and rugged mountains, all with the warm hospitality of country hotels and houses.
All arrangements are taken care of, from the Welcome Briefing on day 1, to transport back to the airport at the end of your hike. Porto is the most convenient airport for all 3 walks.
The best months for hiking Northern Portugal are spring and autumn, avoiding the heat of July and August. In April to June the flowers will be gloriously colourful, and the sights and sounds of the countryside will surround you. In September and October you will enjoy the rich colours of autumn, harvesting of the grapes, and the warm sands and waters at the coast.
You will experience:
- Beautiful scenery with ever-changing views
- Hillside vineyards and wine-tasting in this famous wine-producing region
- Hand-picked accommodation en-route in delightful village houses and hotels
- Portugal’s famous cuisine and hospitality
- Full support and route itinerary, with everything taken care of to allow you to enjoy a spring or autumn self-guided walking holiday.
We also offer a number of additional experiences, like a tour of a port wine cellar, or an extra day to explore the thriving city of Porto. trekMountains will tailor your holiday to suit your needs.
Heart and Soul of the Douro Valley wine region
- 9 days in the stunning scenery of the world famous Douro wine region, a World Heritage site, where the grapes for port wine have been cultivated for generations
- Arrive at Pinhao by scenic train from Porto, or by boat up the Douro river
- See the steep-sided Douro river valley, explore fascinating traditional villages
- Walk along quiet footpaths with extraordinary views
Portuguese Coastal Camino de Santiago de Compostela
- Join with other pilgrims walk the famous pilgrim route from Porto to Santiago in Spain
- More beautiful, less crowded and with less on-road walking than the Spanish camino
- Choose the full camino route (15 days, 13 walking days, 160 miles), or a shorter 8-day option.
- Our carefully planned trek combines coastal & inland walking through traditional villages & countryside, and includes some hill climbing to gain beautiful views
- Option to cycle for a day or two.
Highlights of Northern Portugal
- A 9-day tour of 3 very different areas in the Northern Portugal
- Walk for 2 days in the world-famous Douro Valley wine region
- Transfer to the Peneda-Geres National Park with its high, rugged mountains & historic villages
- Walk part of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, the ancient pilgrimage trail